Getting Chris21 consulting help from an independent contractor
If you use the Chris21 HRMS chances are you will need help from a consultant at some point. Chris21 consulting help can mean many things: upgrade help, issues resolution, implementing new modules, help with reporting. The list goes on. So how do you know who to choose when you need help?
Generally speaking, you have three options for your Chris21 consulting needs:
- You can use your in-house resource (if you have one). Some organisations have a person on hand who is the Chris21 ‘expert’ and who will be able to do most of the Chris21 consulting work.
- You can use the vendor. You will be able to hire one of their consultants to do the work you require.
- You can hire an independent Chris21 consultant. This person should be competent in Chris21 and have a track record to prove it.
Compelling reasons to choose Chris21 consulting help from System Logic
I personally have been helping clients as an independent consultant for the past eight years. To find out more about what I do, you can look at the Chris21 Consulting page on my website. From my experience, here are some compelling reasons why you would choose an independent consultant:
- Access to a Chris21 specialist when you need it. If there is some urgency you don’t want to be told you will have to wait for a consultant. The ability to respond to client needs in a timely manner should be a priority for the independent contractor.
- A guarantee that the same consultant will work on your project from beginning to end. It’s frustrating to have to deal with different consultants on a project. The independent consultant will be able to provide consistency because you will be working with the same individual throughout the life of the project. For example, I am currently working on Learning and Development implementation with a client. It benefits the client greatly to deal only with me on this project.
- A good Chris21 consultant is hard to find. When you have found one you will very likely use that person on multiple occasions. The consultant will begin to understand your business and the way you use Chris21. You will come to trust and rely on that person.
- You will gain the services of an expert if you choose carefully. An independent consultant won’t be in business for long if they lack the expertise in all facets of Chris21. See below for some suggestions for choosing the right consultant.
How do I choose the best consultant when I need Chris21 consulting help?
When searching for a consultant your main difficulty will be having confidence that you will choose the best person for your requirements. As a minimum they should have an internet presence that clearly describes what they do and demonstrates that they have the expertise in Chris21. For example, I do this with my website System Logic, the Chris21 Blog and links to my LinkedIn profile. I put a lot of work into these as a way of sharing information and demonstrating my expertise in Chris21.
Word of mouth is also a great way to find a good consultant. This is not always easy as you may not be in regular contact with other Chris21 users. Look for testimonials and recommendations from clients who have recently hired the independent consultant. I have these on my Website, Blog and LinkedIn pages.
Once you have chosen a consultant, your initial discussion with that person should make you feel comfortable that you have made the right choice.
Is there any risk associated with using an independent consultant?
Not if you do your research and choose the right person. As mentioned above, you should be able to find an independent consultant by doing a Google search. Furthermore, from this search you should easily be able to find out more about this person’s credentials.
In my case, I have control systems in place that make it impossible to compromise the integrity of your Chris21 system. Any good consultant should be able to demonstrate these systems before you hire them. Please ask me if you want more information about this. I certainly would have been out of business a long time ago if I didn’t follow correct procedures when working with client Chris21 systems.
What should you expect from an independent consultant?
The effort you put into finding good Chris21 consulting help will reap many benefits for you. The independent consultant should be able to look at you requirements and offer the best solution working within the limitations of Chris21. I have written blogs about some of the things I do to make sure the client gets the best results. For instance, doing customisations the correct way: Chris21 Customisations – Do it Right! and using Excel macros to enhance your reports: Chris21 Reporting – A Client Success Story.
In addition you should expect:
- Response to your needs at short notice;
- A specialist in Chris21;
- A problem solver;
- A reliable resource;
- Someone who has vast practical experience in Chris21;
- Recommendations to enhance your Chris21 system;
- Knowledge transfer to your staff.
You do have options when you need Chris21 consulting help. Apart from traditional help from the vendor or your in-house resource, do keep in mind that the use of an independent consultant can be a viable option. Please feel free to leave a comment or contact me if you would like more information about how I might be able to help you.